Check out these Forums!
Anime forums are a great place to get a feel of what others (otaku) are doing and what series/movies are popular subjects. Most are part of a general anime reference site for news and database searches. I have been checking out several of these forums lately. Here is my current opinion of each and a quick list of the other things available (that I have used) there. Note that, for the most part, I have only visited the anime portion of the forums mentioned. There are other, sometimes more popular, portions in all of these.
Ani-Pock Forums – Basically, just a cool forum with few participants (I believe all of them are much younger than me O_o). I go there to discuss the shows that Pocky puts up twice a week for viewing, as well as for technical questions about viewing anime.
Otaku Fridge – This forum is on a very good site with anime and game reviews. The best thing about this one is the international feel to the participants, most of whom I believe to be from asian countries. They sometimes have fun threads like guess the character and Caption contests. The only thing I would change about the anime forum (they also have a separate hentai forum) is to make the Identification thread sticky. Unfortunately, at the time of this post, the forum is down.
Anime News Network – Awesome site for news, reviews, database info (I also list My Anime there). The forums are good and seldom mundane, but the moderators are subject to flame noobs and regulars alike. The best thing I like about here is that there are many big wigs who post here on occasion as well as quite a few intelligent users. They also have both Identifying Anime and General Question sticky threads. I posted my Green Green question here and didn’t receive any response. I got positive responses to a request for a list of anime referencing Okinawa. One thing that bugs me; there is much discussion of series that have not been licensed in the US, but any mention of how they were obtained (i.e.
fansub) is critically railed against. Of course it is against ‘teh’ rules to
request downloads, but I for one would at least like to know how the poster viewed the material (via fansub or perhaps on Japanese TV or a R2 DVD?)
AnimeNfo – This is another awesome site; their database has character images for a majority of their listings. Their forums are somewhat interesting, but worth a visit none the less. They have sticky Ident and questions threads as well. The weird thing about this site is that they seem to have no restrictions on avatar and sig sizes. I enjoy just checking out the stuff users come up with for these!
Gendou’s Anime Music – Of all the forums I visit, this one is the most ‘bubble gum’. Posts like, “How hot is Char?” and “Which chara would you want for a brother?” are the norm here. Ah, but this site has MUSIC! I found almost all of my favorites here!
Each of these forums have other qualities; remember I mostly only visit the anime portions of them. Check ‘em out!
Click on the date/time thingy of this post to comment!!
0 comments