<$BlogRSDURL$>
Addicted To Anime
Sunday, May 29, 2005
  Elfen Lied...
is an excellent anime as far as the first DVD volume goes. Elfen Lied had some surprises for me. I felt the backgrounds were mastefully done and the characters had decent enough backgrounds (having seen only the first four episodes, i am sure more depth is forthcoming); Kohta struck me the most because I have been in his position myself (loss of family and memory).

Lucy/Nyu's constant 'nyu-ing' was a bit grating, but I think the romantic comedy aspect took the edge off all the gore. The gore was there for the shock value of it; also to contrast the innocence of Lucy as Nyu. At first, I understood the nudity to be a requirement - Lucy's manipulation of objects as missiles precluding any clothing - and then to emphasize Lucy/Nyu's innocence. Call it fanservice if you like; I'm sure some would argue it could have been done away with. I'd enjoy it either way.

The music was very good from both opening and closing to the BGM; I am not all that picky as you can see. Overall I enjoyed the first DVD and am looking forward to the rest.

The anime has a beautiful opening song, Lilium. When I was growing up I always disliked Latin because 1) it was a language the church used, and 2) it was supposedly the language of the educated elite. How un-enlightened I was back then, ne?

This song is sung completely in Latin; the lyrics are below (with a translation in English)

Latin

Os iusti meditabitur sapientiam
Et lingua rius loquetur iudicium
Beatus vir qui sufferit tentationem
Quoniam cum probatus fuerit accipiet coronam vitae
Kyrie, Ignis Divine, eleison
O quam sancta, quam serena
Quam benigna, quam amoena
O castitatis lilium

English

The mouth of the just shall meditate wisdom
And his tongue shall speak judgement
Blessed is the man who endureth temptation
For when he hath been proved he shall receive a crown of life
Lord, Fire Divine, have mercy
O how holy, how serene
How benign, how pleasant
O lily of purity
  0 comments
Comments: Post a Comment


It beats drugs, booze and that thing that starts with a "p"! (I mean politics, of course. What did ya think I meant!?!)

PROFILE

NEW! Top ten titles I've seen!

01) Top wo Nerae 2 (Diebuster)
02) Ghost In The Shell (all)
03) Martian Successor Nadesico (all)
04) Neon Genesis Evangelion (all)
05) The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya (coming soon to the US!)
06) Vampire Princess Miyu (TV)
07) Cowboy Bebop
08) NHK ni Youkoso! (Welcome to the NHK!)
09) Higurashi no Naku Koro ni
10) Innocent Venus

CLICK the Date/Time under a post to COMMENT!

ARCHIVES
September 2004
October 2004
November 2004
December 2004
January 2005
February 2005
April 2005
May 2005
June 2005
July 2005
August 2005
September 2005
October 2005
November 2005
December 2005
January 2006
February 2006
March 2006
April 2006
May 2006
June 2006
July 2006
August 2006
September 2006
October 2006
November 2006
December 2006
January 2007
February 2007
May 2007
September 2007
November 2007
August 2009


LINKS
HOME!
My Anime Collection! (on ANN)
Anime On DVD
Ani-Pock.net (Anime to watch!)
Ani-Pocky Blog!!
Anime News Network (ANN)
Otaku Fridge!
AnimeNfo
Gendou.com (Music!)


FORUMS
Ani-Pocky Forums
ANN Forums
Otaku Fridge Board (OB)
AnimeNfo Forums
Gendou.com Forums
AnimeMusicVideos.org



USEFUL and FUN!
Japanese Language App!
Nanaca Crash!
AnimeTempy Journal
Blog Template



Powered by Blogger