The anime that started it all for you...
I ran across this topic on ANN's forum. Here's what I posted...
Good topic for a newby (here) like me! When I was growing up I loved public television because they had shows like
Speed Racer and
Marine Boy, of course I had no idea they were anime. Later in life I would complain because cartoons weren't as good as they were in my day!
Whe I had kids of my own and lived in Japan (on base) I started picking up videos, then switched to DVDs and that's when I picked up alot of
Pokemon and
Sailor Moon. I'd watch with the kids; these were pretty good and enjoyable. I would also actually look forward to catching
Akazukin Chacha on CN international. I had a understanding that these shows were anime, but wasn't quite hooked until I picked up the complete collection of
Martian Successor Nadesico; I couldn't stop watching it. Now that I look back at it, it's so full of anime cliches it's hillarious. I've been hooked ever since.
I share with the kids (to a point); I'll check out most any title I can get my hands on (within budget) and enjoy almost anything (to prove my point,
Hyper Dolls and
Arcade Gamer Fubuki come to mind). I enjoy the angst ridden stuff, but mostly love the comedy. Character developement and artwork far surpass any American works, although they are starting to see the light (i.e.
Teen Titans).
I added all the DVDs I had to the My Anime section here and couldn't believe I have over 300 DVDs! My wife may wring my neck any day now...
0 comments