NewType USA
I was just getting to like this magazine. It has alot of information on shows that are airing in Japan, as well as reviews of upcoming releases in the US. The layout (if a little tricky, as it reads like a Japanese book; backwards to Americans) is gorgeous with two page, full color layouts with unimposing text. It also has manga and games reviews, which aren't particularly appealing to me. The biggest attraction for me though was that each issue came with a DVD with trailers and a first episode from an upcoming anime release. This was my purpose in laying down the $10 for the mag. Unfortunately, (I heard in July: I misseds that issue) they now only provide the DVD for subscribers!
I was toying with the idea of subscribing to at least one anime mag. I tried animerica and anime play, but they didn't do it fo me. It came down to Anime Insider (which makes me laugh; I love their added dialog bubbles!) and NewType USA. Until the DVD went away. SUre for $80+ dollars I can again get the DVD, but why pay so much, after they let me down? BTW, I am waiting for the big relocation before actually subscribing.
Funny, the anime I enjoy the most tends to be released in the US by the company that puts out NewType;
AD Vision. At least their trailers are still free....
0 comments